Fun Fact: Old Wire Road

Mississippi State Historical Marker
Mississippi State Historical Marker

Across this spot in 1849 lines were strung on pines for Washington-Cincinnatti-Montgomery-Mobile-New Orleans telegraph. Line was discontinued in 1870 upon building of coastal railway.  Latitude & Longitude: 30° 46′ 57.1728″, -89° 8′ 13.7184″.  

 

Soource: http://www.stoppingpoints.com/mississippi/Stone/Old+Wire+Road.html

Fun Fact: Finkbine Lumber Company

Finkbine Lumber Company, also referenced in some texts as Finkbine-Guild Lumber Company, purchased the two sawmills belonging to Niles City Lumber Company in 1901 for $13,300. W. E Guild , Treasurer of the company, became general manager of the Wiggins operation in 1903. Until the mills and timber lands were sold in 1929, Finkbine’s Wiggins mill capacity was over 175,000 board feet per day. The company also operated over 50 miles of track within the area of operation.

Primary timber processed was long leaf yellow pine. It was processed for both domestic and export (via Gulfport) purposes.  Finkbine built a number of houses and other other structures in the growing town of Wiggins over this period. Some of those remain today especially along Pine Street.

Sources:

http://www.msrailroa

English: Letterhead from Finkbine Lumber Compa...
English: Letterhead from Finkbine Lumber Company, 1907. Digital representation of original Finkbine Lumber Company letterhead in private family collection. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

ds.com/Finkbine.htm

http://ookaboo.com/o/pictures/topic/21494759/FinkbineGuild_Lumber_Company

Fun Fact – Pickles!

Most Stone County folks know that Wiggins once was home to the largest pickle factory in the world. With the timber industry in decline, the Finkbine Lumber interests founded the American Pickle and Canning Company in 1912 in order to process crops produced from the cut-over timber lands.

While pickles were the primary product, in 1918-1919, sweet potatoes, beans and blackberries were canned and shipped from the Wiggins plant.

The Pickle Factory, under several different operators, remained a key component of Stone County’s industry until the 1980s.

Source: http://www.cityofwiggins.com/our_history.htm