Emilie and Marie Stapp collected over 400 dolls from their travels around the world. When they built their home at Friendship Farm east of Wiggins in the 1930s, their home was called The Dolls’ House. Upon Emilie’s passing in 1962, her nieces ensured that the vast collection of Emilie and Marie would be preserved. After the great nieces chose from the dolls (Suzanne got two, Dottie and Ripple one each), the remainder were donated with manuscripts, books, and other memorabilia to the University of Southern Mississippi and are now part of the Special Collections of the de Grummond Children’s Literature Collection at The McCain Library and Archives.
The Old Firehouse Museum of Wiggins and Stone County will honor the legacy of Emilie and Marie Stapp and their contributions to the history of Stone County by sponsoring a Doll Show / Tea Party on March 15, 2014.
The Stapp sisters lived in Stone County from the early 1930’s until their deaths in the 1960’s. The sisters collected dolls from all over the world and displayed them in their home – The Dolls’ House – on their home place known as Friendship Farm. Doll Shows were held there for the young girls of the community. Many adults in the area still remember participating in these shows.
The event will be held at the Ferris O’Neal Senior Center in Wiggins. Doll lovers, children and adults, are welcome to display their favorite dolls at the show. Categories include: Bride, Barbie, American Girl, Baby Doll, Fashion Doll, Vintage Doll (40+years old), Homemade Doll, International Doll, and Miscellaneous (Collector, Character, etc.).
Exhibitors may bring their dolls for display on Friday, March 14th from 4:00 – 6:00 pm and Saturday, March 15th from 8:00 – 9:30 am. Dolls will not be judged. The public is invited to view the dolls from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm on Saturday, March 15th.
Young ladies and one of their favorite dolls, not on display, may participate in the Tea Party any time between 10:30 am and 12:30 pm.
The event is open to the public. Please join us in this special tribute to these special citizens of Stone County.
For more information, call 601-928-4970 or 601-928-5757 or come by The Old Firehouse Museum on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
Join The Old Firehouse Museum as we celebrate the life of Emilie Blackmore Stapp, children’s author, philanthropist, and collector, with her sister Marie, of dolls from around the world.
The Museum will host a Doll Show and Tea Party on Saturday, March 15th from 10AM-4PM at the Ferris O’neal Senior Center.
From the Stone County Enterprise:
CUPID NEGLECTS STONE COUNTY DURING 1922
Stone County has the least number of marriages of any county in Mississippi. It comes in at the bottom of the state with only 72 marriages. Bolivar County led in the number of marriages with 1,100.
The Museum Board is ramping back up for activities for 2014. Stay tuned to the website, Facebook, and Twitter for news of coming events.
Stone County Enterprise – Century of Remembrance
Federal agents, assisted by Stone County Sheriff Eldon Ladner, seized a giant whiskey still in Stone County Thursday morning. They confiscated 320 barrels of sugar rye mash. Located about three miles west of Bond, the still is believed to have been one of the largest ever found in the state. Two men from Saucier were arrested.
From Stone County Enterprise, February 15, 1928 (An announcement)
We have examined and considered the America Pickle and Canning Company proposition to the farmers in the Wiggins Territory and give it our endorsement and support.
We urge every farmer in the Wiggins territory to put in some cucumbers for the factory
KENNEDY & COMPANY, KEW MERCANTILE, CO-OPERATIVE COMPANY, WIGGINS DRY GOODS CO., E.A. BOND GROCERY, JITNEY CAFE, BANK OF WIGGINS, BRELAND MERCANTILE CO., WIGGINS DRUG STORE, DUGGAN’S RESTAURANT, FARMER’S DRUG STORE, JOES THE TAYLOR, MARTIN BROTHERS, L.A. WALLER, JEWELER, E.R. SMITH HARDWARE, STONE CO. ENTERPRISE
First Baptist Church Wiggins (FBCW) hosted Bethlehem Revisited several times during the early 1980’s. In the late 1990’s, FBCW began hosting Bethlehem every other year. Now, it is hosted annually.
Bethlehem involves over 200 people( ages 2 weeks to 80+ years) in the village and behind the scenes. In the most recent years, over 1000 people per year toured Bethlehem. Church volunteers spend several days building the city on the parking lot across from the Sanctuary. Local farmers provide a host of animals… sheep, goats, donkey, chickens, horses, llamas, cows and geese. The city is open for walking tours where visitors can experience the sight and sounds of Bethlehem on Saturday night and Sunday night. In the church Sanctuary is a live Nativity. Local musicians play Christmas music as visitors approach the manger.
Bethlehem is a gift to the community from the members of First Baptist Church. Through Bethlehem they share the real meaning of Christmas. Join them this year on Saturday, December 7 and Sunday, December 8.
Wiggins is in the midst of a “scarecrow event” called THE SCARECROW CONVENTION (This is also known as “Scarecrows on the Hill”. This event is now three years old and headed up by “The Pine Hill Ladies (Mary Webb, Nina Shaw, Ruth Ford, Norma Batson, Christa Tanner Seals, Carole, Edyth Baer, and Mike Cain.)
Many of the scarecrows reflect on Stone County history. Rosie, the Riveter, pictured below, represents women from our community who were real-life Rosie’s at the Pascagoula Ship yard during WWII.
The other photo is old Fine Engine #3, the icon of The Museum.