A History of Towns & Communities in Harrison & Stone Counties Mississippi
Compiled by LeRoy F. Eastes
In January , 1910 , there was a serious fire in the business district of Wiggins. Three city blocks were consumed, while other buildings were dynamited to prevent the fire from spreading. At 11 o’clock in the morning, a raging wind from the northwest swept the fire through the business center of the town, causing a property loss between $100,000 and $150,000.
The Gulf Island Ship Island depot and Peoples Bank were destroyed. Other businesses wiped out included, but were not limited to: Wiggins Mercantile Co., Foote & Bond Mercantile Co., W.W. Burnette & Co. (mercantile), The Burnette Hotel, the Schwartz Dry Goods Company store, two livery stables (owned by L.W. Davis and D.J O’Neal), and several small grocery stores including Lindsay & Co. and Wiggins Grocery Co.
Three box cars were sent to Wiggins to be used as a temporary depot following the fire.