Join us tomorrow for the third annual Evening on the Hill. Pine Hill is all spruced up for Fall and waiting to welcome you for dinner, an Elvis Tribute by Charlie Raye, other entertainment, and a silent auction.
The Ferris O’neal Senior Center was again the venue of the second annual Doll Show and Tea Party sponsored by The Old Firehouse Museum on Saturday, March 7, 2015. More than 2015 guests enjoyed the exhibits and refreshments.
In 2014, the initial Doll Show and Tea Party was held in conjunction with a county-wide focus on the life and works of Emilee Blackmore Stapp and her sister Marie. The sisters lived on Friendship Farm in the “Dolls’ House”, named for their international collection of dolls. Their investment in Stone County and the lives of children was unlimited.
Members of the Stapp Family again attended this years’ event. These included Eileen Day Gipson who grew up on Friendship Farm and exhibited on of the dolls from the sisters’ collection, and Betty Hearon of Hattiesburg. Additionally, multiple generations of families enjoyed the afternoon together viewing the exhibits and enjoying tea and conversation.
CALLING ALL DOLLS! – CALLING ALL DOLLS! – CALLING ALL DOLLS!
The Old Firehouse Museum is holding its 2nd Annual Doll Show and Tea Party on Saturday, March 7, 2015, at the Ferris O’Neal Senior Center, 1240 South Magnolia Drive, Wiggins. There is no admission fee and dolls are not judged.
This special Museum event for girls of all ages recognizes the contributions of the Stapp Sisters–Emilie and Marie–to Wiggins and Stone County. Young girls are welcome to bring their favorite doll and come to the Tea Party any time between 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Anyone wanting to display dolls may bring them on Friday Afternoon, March 6, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday morning from 8:00 to 9:30 a.m. Doll Show viewing is open to the public on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
Emilie and Marie Stapp collected over 400 dolls from their travels around the world. When they built their home at Friendship Farm east of Wiggins in the 1930s, their home was called The Dolls’ House. Upon Emilie’s passing in 1962, her nieces ensured that the vast collection of Emilie and Marie would be preserved. After the great nieces chose from the dolls (Suzanne got two, Dottie and Ripple one each), the remainder were donated with manuscripts, books, and other memorabilia to the University of Southern Mississippi and are now part of the Special Collections of the de Grummond Children’s Literature Collection at The McCain Library and Archives.
The Old Firehouse Museum of Wiggins and Stone County will honor the legacy of Emilie and Marie Stapp and their contributions to the history of Stone County by sponsoring a Doll Show / Tea Party on March 15, 2014.
The Stapp sisters lived in Stone County from the early 1930’s until their deaths in the 1960’s. The sisters collected dolls from all over the world and displayed them in their home – The Dolls’ House – on their home place known as Friendship Farm. Doll Shows were held there for the young girls of the community. Many adults in the area still remember participating in these shows.
The event will be held at the Ferris O’Neal Senior Center in Wiggins. Doll lovers, children and adults, are welcome to display their favorite dolls at the show. Categories include: Bride, Barbie, American Girl, Baby Doll, Fashion Doll, Vintage Doll (40+years old), Homemade Doll, International Doll, and Miscellaneous (Collector, Character, etc.).
Exhibitors may bring their dolls for display on Friday, March 14th from 4:00 – 6:00 pm and Saturday, March 15th from 8:00 – 9:30 am. Dolls will not be judged. The public is invited to view the dolls from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm on Saturday, March 15th.
Young ladies and one of their favorite dolls, not on display, may participate in the Tea Party any time between 10:30 am and 12:30 pm.
The event is open to the public. Please join us in this special tribute to these special citizens of Stone County.
For more information, call 601-928-4970 or 601-928-5757 or come by The Old Firehouse Museum on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
From the Stone County Enterprise:
CUPID NEGLECTS STONE COUNTY DURING 1922
Stone County has the least number of marriages of any county in Mississippi. It comes in at the bottom of the state with only 72 marriages. Bolivar County led in the number of marriages with 1,100.
Wiggins is in the midst of a “scarecrow event” called THE SCARECROW CONVENTION (This is also known as “Scarecrows on the Hill”. This event is now three years old and headed up by “The Pine Hill Ladies (Mary Webb, Nina Shaw, Ruth Ford, Norma Batson, Christa Tanner Seals, Carole, Edyth Baer, and Mike Cain.)
Many of the scarecrows reflect on Stone County history. Rosie, the Riveter, pictured below, represents women from our community who were real-life Rosie’s at the Pascagoula Ship yard during WWII.
The other photo is old Fine Engine #3, the icon of The Museum.
Perhaps these trees do talk back! In January 1971, Astronaut Stuart Roosa selected seeds from five different trees to take to the moon on Apollo 14. Upon their return to earth, some of the seeds were sent to Bill at the Harrison Experimental Forestry Station in Gulfport, Mississippi. The seeds were planted, celebrated and continue to share their story; “moon trees” and their direct descendents (baby moons) are planted across the world. Some trees were planted in 1976 to celebrate our Bicentennial. Another moon pine was planted in honor of Bill Mauldin in McHenry, Mississippi at the George Austin McHenry House and yet another in honor of Astronaut Fred Haise on the Perkinston Campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College — his alma mater.
The “moon trees” continue to flourish, a living monument to our first visits to the Moon and a fitting memorial to Stuart Roosa, Bill Mauldin, and our space program.
“This story was told in its entirety as part of the Telling Trees story gathering project in Stone County, MS with assistance from the MS Humanities Council and the National Humanities Council.” Kathryn Lewis, project director.
Jed O’neal came from a long line of Stone Countians. His grandfather Van O’neal donated 40 acres of land to help establish the Harrison County Agricultural High School (HCAHS). Over the years. HCAHS became first Perkinston Junior College and later the Perk Campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.
Jed’s parents, Ford and Jewel O’neal were well known Stone County folks. Mom Jewel for years taught in the Wiggins and Stone County Schools.
Perhaps one of the best examples of the initiative within Stone County folks is the story of how Jed got the new steeple for the Little Creek Baptist Church in the Ramsey Springs Community from the manufacturer to the church. Smile as you read the story here.
W.P.A. for Mississippi Historic Research Project
February 10, 1939
Subject: Fine Arts and Crafts
The writer listed the names of the persons in the county who were accomplished artists. One of the artists was Miss Bell Ingersol. A description of her talents and accomplishments in the field of Drama follows:
Miss Bell Ingersol, who lives in Stone County ,recently moved from the East and lives with her parents on a farm ( located three miles east of Wiggins). Miss Ingersol is a former actress and playwright. She has played the leading part in several theatrical productions and traveled extensively with theatrical troupes.
She played in moving pictures during silent picture days and has worked and studied in Chicago and Detroit under well known picture directors of that time.
Another “Fun Fact” noted that Mr. Cicero Cunningham was known to keep a pair of her shoes in his display case!