Perhaps these trees do talk back! In January 1971, Astronaut Stuart Roosa selected seeds from five different trees to take to the moon on Apollo 14. Upon their return to earth, some of the seeds were sent to Bill at the Harrison Experimental Forestry Station in Gulfport, Mississippi. The seeds were planted, celebrated and continue to share their story; “moon trees” and their direct descendents (baby moons) are planted across the world. Some trees were planted in 1976 to celebrate our Bicentennial. Another moon pine was planted in honor of Bill Mauldin in McHenry, Mississippi at the George Austin McHenry House and yet another in honor of Astronaut Fred Haise on the Perkinston Campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College — his alma mater.
The “moon trees” continue to flourish, a living monument to our first visits to the Moon and a fitting memorial to Stuart Roosa, Bill Mauldin, and our space program.
“This story was told in its entirety as part of the Telling Treesstory gathering project in Stone County, MS with assistance from the MS Humanities Council and the National Humanities Council.” Kathryn Lewis, project director.
Dr. George Austin McHenry, who homesteaded in the area of South Stone County that now bears his name beginning in 1889, joined the United States Volunteers in 1898, as a contract surgeon with the rank of Captain. He served in the Spanish American War in Cuba, the Philippine insurrection, and in China. During his time in Cuba, Dr. McHenry directed the yellow fever hospital there. Since he was immune to the disease, he was able to help many others.
While serving in the Spanish American War, McHenry developed a close relationship with Leonard Wood, who later became Chief of Staff of the United States Army and was tasked with establishing military training sites throughout the United States. Because of this relationship, Dr. McHenry was instrumental in proposing the establishment of one of these training sites to be located south of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, because of the mild climate, available rail facilities, and geography. The site was selected, and in 1917 it became Camp Shelby, the largest state owned military training facility in the United States.
Bond-Harvinson Memorial Park, located on McGregor Road in Wiggins, is a peaceful place of a number of settlers of the area. Most lived when the area now known as Stone County was a part of first Jackson County and then Harrison County. Col. John Bond was a Revolutionary War hero. His sons, Lt. Col. John Bond, Jr. and Lt William Bond, served in the Mississippi Militia during the War of 1812. John Bond, Jr. represented the area in the Mississippi Legislature at one point and settled in the McHenry area (and is buried in Saucier). The Bonds, like the McHenrys, Batsons, Prices, Dales, and many others lives are tied together as the first families of this area.
It is noted in several records reviewed that the Cenotaph of Lt. William Bond that is in the Memorial Park contains a number of errors regarding his children. Other records reviewed show the same picture for John Bond Sr. and John Bond Jr. Regardless both were key to the development of the area.
“L.B. Goddard bought the old Perry Bond house about 24 years (1913) ago. The Old Gum Springs were there then and are yet. A little branch trickles along and the springs are under a little embankment. It was a favorite place for the Goddard children to play. There are also other springs in the vicinity. When Dr. Pafford owned the place, after the Goddards, his wife had an artificial pond made, fed by these springs, with the thought of making a recreational resort at the place. This pond can still be seen from the new U.S. 49 which is slightly east of the main town of McHenry.
The story of the Copeland gang camping at these springs, is a common tradition in McHenry. But there is some confusion of dates. If this house was built when they (camped there), it is older than 75 years, for Copeland was hanged in 1857. Only an exhaustive search of land records would reveal the exact date of the homesteading.”
Interview with Mrs. L.B. Goddard
For more information about the Copeland Gang, check out these links below:
Among those Stone County natives part of “The Greatest Generation” is Gordon S. McHenry. Better known for his medical practice for many many years, SGT McHenry was part a member of the Military Police in the Occupation Forces in Japan in 1946.
Floyd and Hazel McHenry had six children. All were involved in WWII in some way. In the article included in this post, Gordon is the “high school student at the Junior college (Perk)”. Floyd died in 1941 and did not see the involvement of his children in the war effort.
The McHenry Methodist Church stood for many years on the corner of McHenry Avenue and East McHenry Road. This beautiful old church suffered significant damage in Hurricane Camille and was not restored. Some church furnishings today are held in family collections of the members at the time the building was destroyed. Beautifully white on the outside, the interior was dark stained wood with high ceilings. It was a beautiful and worshipful place.
Cille McHenry (now Litchfield) played trombone in the Ole Miss Pride of the South band from 1973-1977. Did you know her grandfather also played the trombone in the Ole Miss orchestra in 1909-1910? Floyd W. McHenry, is pictured in the orchestra photo from the 1909-1910 Ole Miss annual. His trombone is still in the family (but is not the one Cille played at Ole Miss!).
Did you know that the George Austin McHenry House in McHenry is the only property in Stone County on the National Register of Historic Places? The older photo in this post shows the house in the early 1900s. Standing in front of the house with “Ponnie” as he was known by his grandchildren are his wife Una and son Floyd.
The House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 thanks to the efforts of Dolores McHenry Mauldin. Hannah Mauldin Cliburn (great-grand-daughter of George Austin McHenry) today lives in the house with her husband Joe.
Driving south on U.S. Highway 49, some ten miles south of Wiggins, you come to a small green road sign letting you know you have arrived at McHenry, Mississippi. If you blink, you miss it, but, if you turn right at that sign, a ride into history begins. Driving down North McHenry Avenue, you wonder what might be in this place, but as you bear to the left and round the big corner, you step back some 114 years.
First sighting is “the old store”, actually a relatively new structure used literally as a store, the post office, a filling station, the local library, and storage. But towering above, you see a grand home not unlike those found in New England or in the Mississippi communities known for their history.
In Ohio in 1858, George Austin McHenry was born to descendants of Northern Irish immigrants. He studied Pharmacy at the University of Michigan and then at Tulane University, the later experience exposing him to the opportunities of the virgin pine forests of South Mississippi. McHenry returned to Michigan where he met Eunice Estella Whitaker (Una), whom he married in Indiana in 1881. Their only child, born in 1891, was Floyd Whitaker, a musician, pharmacist, and an employee of the State Auditor’s office during his lifetime, who also became Chancery Clerk of Stone County, probably much to the elder McHenry’s dismay.
Floyd was my grandfather, a man who died on my Dad’s 15th birthday. My Dad, Gordon Spencer McHenry, was the youngest of Floyd’s six children. His only sister, Dolores McHenry Mauldin, the family historian and the mother to the current owner of the G. A. McHenry House, Hannah Mauldin Cliburn, early instilled in every McHenry grandchild and great-grandchild, the importance to understand our heritage and how that centered, in large part, around this great house and this man, known to his grandchildren as “Ponnie”.
Never one to remain still long, McHenry received his Doctor of Medicine from Louisville Medical College in 1893, following in the footsteps of his father Silas and grandfather Cornelius before him and continuing an interest in medicine that followed him through his grandson Gordon and his youngest great granddaughter Judy McHenry Russell.
In 1889, McHenry migrated to south Mississippi bringing with him fifty-four families from the upper Midwest and establishing what became known locally as the “Michigan Settlement” in what was then northern Harrison County. The settlement stood in the midst of the vast virgin yellow pine forests supporting a lumber boom that caused the area and the small town to prosper. At the height of its prosperity, the town supported a number of plants related to the timber industry and became the social center for the area with a bank, two drugstores, several fraternal lodges, a hotel, a school, saloons and livery stables, and six churches as well as being an important stop on the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad. McHenry practiced medicine there, owned a drug store, co-owned the Majestic Hotel, was a director of the McHenry State Bank and involved in economic development and political activities of the area.
As with many successful businessmen, especially one in those days who, in his own words, “made 24 ocean voyages and once and a half around the world”, a number of his accomplishments can be attributed to his wife. Una oversaw the building and expansion of the house during McHenry’s travels and military career. Initially built as a single story unit in 1895, it was expanded to add the second story and Victorian façade and then improved over time to add an attached kitchen and the important conveniences of indoor plumbing. Una also ran the local newspaper and kept up McHenry’s many obligations as he served honorably in the U.S. Army Volunteer Corps as a surgeon during the Spanish-American War. McHenry was present at the end of the Battle of Santiago on July 3, 1898. Considered an expert on yellow fever, McHenry directed the Yellow Fever Hospital in Santiago, Cuba, as well as serving at other posts in Cuba and Philippines and was honorably discharged at the rank of Captain in 1902. He continued to travel the world into 1903 before returning home to McHenry to settle down with his family. His zest for travel and adventure continues in his grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren to this day.
McHenry’s contacts, including his friendship with fellow surgeon and Medal of Honor recipient General Leonard A. Wood from the Spanish American War and his second cousin Lois Irene Kimsey Marshall, the wife of then Vice President Thomas Riley Marshall, were also important in the establishment of Camp Shelby prior to World War I. Camp Shelby, continues to this day, to serve as an important staging and training area for the U.S. Army in Mississippi.
Upon returning home in 1903, McHenry “practiced in the town I founded”. Again, in his words, he “followed ordinary country practice all these years.” Even as the lumber boom depleted the forests surrounding McHenry and the Great Depression took hold, certainly not sparing the town he founded, “Doc” as he was called by his patients and neighbors, continued to live there and to promote the importance of the area to the railroad and for the development of other industries. In 1916, the Mississippi Legislature authorized that Stone County be formed, subject to voter approval, a move McHenry vigorously opposed. In May of that year, the voters approved Stone County’s formation and established Wiggins as the County Seat, much to McHenry’s dismay as he had lobbied hard for McHenry to be established as such if a new county was established. Family oral history records he was so angry at the outcome of the election that he tossed the ballot box off the bridge into Red Creek.
McHenry, his wife Una, his son Floyd and daughter-in-law Hazel, two of his grandchildren and their spouses, a great granddaughter and a great-great granddaughter, are buried in the Oaklawn Cemetery in McHenry.
Other than a short period during the Great Depression, since its construction, the G.A. McHenry House has been continually occupied by a member of the family. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places November 3, 1988, the G. A. McHenry house remains the only Stone County property on the Register and one of the few remaining intact structures of this period in South Mississippi. Though damaged in Hurricane Camille in 1969 and again in Katrina in 2005, the G. A. McHenry House has been completely restored and today still stands tall in the woods of South Mississippi “Doc” loved so much.
Original Homestead Deed
George Austin McHenry House – early 1900s
P. E. Bond Saloon
First McHenry Drugstore
Second Drug Store (McHenry House behind left)
State Bank of McHenry
Seal of Town of McHenry
Grandchildren of George Austin McHenry
Author: Cille McHenry Litchfield; Article was first published in the Fall 2012 edition of Our South magazine.