Can you identify any of these folks from the 1950 – 1st Annual “Dairy Bowl”. The Perk High School team was the host team.
Perhaps these trees do talk back! In January 1971, Astronaut Stuart Roosa selected seeds from five different trees to take to the moon on Apollo 14. Upon their return to earth, some of the seeds were sent to Bill at the Harrison Experimental Forestry Station in Gulfport, Mississippi. The seeds were planted, celebrated and continue to share their story; “moon trees” and their direct descendents (baby moons) are planted across the world. Some trees were planted in 1976 to celebrate our Bicentennial. Another moon pine was planted in honor of Bill Mauldin in McHenry, Mississippi at the George Austin McHenry House and yet another in honor of Astronaut Fred Haise on the Perkinston Campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College — his alma mater.
The “moon trees” continue to flourish, a living monument to our first visits to the Moon and a fitting memorial to Stuart Roosa, Bill Mauldin, and our space program.
“This story was told in its entirety as part of the Telling Trees story gathering project in Stone County, MS with assistance from the MS Humanities Council and the National Humanities Council.” Kathryn Lewis, project director.
Jed O’neal came from a long line of Stone Countians. His grandfather Van O’neal donated 40 acres of land to help establish the Harrison County Agricultural High School (HCAHS). Over the years. HCAHS became first Perkinston Junior College and later the Perk Campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.
Jed’s parents, Ford and Jewel O’neal were well known Stone County folks. Mom Jewel for years taught in the Wiggins and Stone County Schools.
Perhaps one of the best examples of the initiative within Stone County folks is the story of how Jed got the new steeple for the Little Creek Baptist Church in the Ramsey Springs Community from the manufacturer to the church. Smile as you read the story here.
From: W.P.A. for Mississippi Research Project, July 7th , 1936
By Marshall Taylor and H.V. Redfield
Subject: EDUCATION “Schools of Yesterday”
The early school days of Stone County date back to the early part of the nineteenth century. Schools in those days were organized by citizens residing in their respective communities. The buildings were of logs, an the benches of hewn timbers and there were no desks at all. The patrons financed these schools, paying $1.00 per month for each pupil attending and usually taking turns among them, boarding the teachers.
One of the first schools of Stone County was located in the western part of the county on Griffin’s Branch, eleven miles northeast of Wiggins. This school was known as the Davis-Perkins School, named after two of its founders. It was a private pay school and was founded about 1871 by William Davis, Ben Perkins, Calvin Griffin, and others. Some of the early teachers of this school were Luther Cox, Mr. Reynolds, John Davis, and James Carpenter. This school operated at this location for four years; then it was reorganized and moved to a new location, five miles southwest of Bond. It continued at this location for several years and was known as the Eureka Public School.
From the Stone County Enterprise …. Oct. 13, 1927
PERKINSTON JUNIOR COLLEGE NOTES
“Bull Dogs Defeat Goodman“
The first championship game was played Saturday on the court at Perkinston, Miss. between the Perk Bull Dogs and Goodman Junior College. The Goodman boys put up a hard fight, but were defeated in the end, the score being thirty-one to nothing, in favor of Perk.
The weather was so unpleasant that everyone was afraid the game would be postponed, but upon questioning Coach, the following answer was given as the boys yelled over the campus… “we are going to play if we have to swim”. The rush began and the students could not be checked… Then standing in a torrent of rain, every student put his heart and soul in the game, and showed a clean one, and everybody enjoyed it.
The Stone High Class of 1973 celebrates their 40th Reunion today. The Old Firehouse Museum will honor the Class of 1973 with a special exhibit and open house today from 9am-11am at the Museum. As you can see from the baby photos in this post, “Things Have Definitely Changed”.