All Aboard: The Old Firehouse Museum’s Train Show Returns

For Immediate Release:

Contact: Alfred Byrd, Old Firehouse Museum Board Member 601-928-8089 or 601-928-8164

All Aboard: The Old Firehouse Museum’s Train Show Returns

The Old Firehouse Museum’s train show will again be held in the Historic Depot in Wiggins on Saturday, April 16, 2016.  The fun and festivities will start at 9 a.m. and end at 2 p.m. Participants may set up their trains Friday, April 15, 4-6 p.m. or Saturday, April 16, 8-9 a.m.  All types of trains are welcome.  The show celebrates the railroad and showcases model trains from the collections of citizens of Wiggins and Stone County.

“If it wasn’t for the railroad, we wouldn’t be here” is an often heard refrain at the Old Firehouse Museum.  The railroad, originally the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad was built through the county in 1896 and was instrumental in the county’s economic development.  This is one reason the museum hosts the train show and another is that most everyone loves model trains.

In addition to the large collection of locally owned model trains that will be on display, there will be presentations, hands-on activities for children, musical entertainment and a motorized trackless train ride around the Depot grounds.

David Price, a noted and favorite railroad historian, and Jerry Lachaussee, author and retired railroad dispatcher,will again present interesting train lore and stories for the train enthusiast that will be attending.  The museum will display photos and other train related artifacts from its collection.

The Historic Depot was originally rebuilt in 1912 after the first depot was destroyed by fire in 1910. In 2000, the building was moved to its current location.  Restoration of the Depot was completed in 2005.

The Old Firehouse Museum, dedicated to collecting and preserving the history of Stone County, is located next to the Wiggins City Hall, 117 North First Street, and is open Wednesdays and Thursdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.  The museum is supported and funded by the City of Wiggins and contributions from volunteers and visitors.

Stone County turns 100 in 2016 and will be celebrating our centennial all year with events and activities that highlight our past, our citizens and a look to our future. Come join us as Stone County honors its 100 years and plans for the next 100 years.

“Calling All Dolls!”

The Ferris O’neal Senior Center was again the venue of the second annual Doll Show and Tea Party  sponsored by The Old Firehouse Museum on Saturday, March 7, 2015. More than 2015 guests enjoyed the exhibits and refreshments.

In 2014, the initial Doll Show and Tea Party was held in conjunction with a county-wide focus on the life and works of Emilee Blackmore Stapp and her sister Marie. The sisters lived on Friendship Farm in the “Dolls’ House”, named for their international collection of dolls. Their investment in Stone County and the lives of children was unlimited.

Members of the Stapp Family again attended this years’ event. These included Eileen Day Gipson who grew up on Friendship Farm and exhibited on of the dolls from the sisters’ collection, and Betty Hearon of Hattiesburg. Additionally, multiple generations of families enjoyed the afternoon together viewing the exhibits and enjoying tea and conversation.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Calling All Dolls – 2nd Annual Doll Show March 7, 2015

CALLING ALL DOLLS! – CALLING ALL DOLLS! – CALLING ALL DOLLS!

The Old Firehouse Museum is holding its 2nd Annual Doll Show and Tea Party on Saturday, March 7, 2015, at the Ferris O’Neal Senior Center, 1240 South Magnolia Drive, Wiggins. There is no admission fee and dolls are not judged.

This special Museum event for girls of all ages recognizes the contributions of the Stapp Sisters–Emilie and Marie–to Wiggins and Stone County. Young girls are welcome to bring their favorite doll and come to the Tea Party any time between 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

Anyone wanting to display dolls may bring them on Friday Afternoon, March 6, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday morning from 8:00 to 9:30 a.m. Doll Show viewing is open to the public on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Save the Date – Old Firehouse Museum’s “Evening on the Hill”

Save the date of October 4, 2014, for this year’s edition of “Evening on the Hill”.

The evening will include dinner at Serendipity, live and silent auctions, and live entertainment. You will want to be there!

More information coming soon.

Historic Stone County Post Cards – John Sharp

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Fun Fact: The Scarecrow Convention

Wiggins is in the midst of a “scarecrow event” called THE SCARECROW CONVENTION (This is also known as “Scarecrows on the Hill”.  This event is now three years old and headed up by “The Pine Hill Ladies (Mary Webb, Nina Shaw, Ruth Ford, Norma Batson, Christa Tanner Seals, Carole, Edyth Baer, and Mike Cain.)

Many of the scarecrows reflect on Stone County history.  Rosie, the Riveter, pictured below, represents women from our community who were real-life Rosie’s at the Pascagoula Ship yard during WWII.

The other photo is old Fine Engine #3, the icon of The Museum.