Finkbine was known for being innovative in the use of technology to improve production. Skidders were huge winches with long cables. These cables were attached to logs, and the winches dragged them to the railhead. Innovations like these cut logging costs and allowed for year-round operations.
Photo: Personal archives of Brax H. Batson
Finkbine Lumber Company, also referenced in some texts as Finkbine-Guild Lumber Company, purchased the two sawmills belonging to Niles City Lumber Company in 1901 for $13,300. W. E Guild , Treasurer of the company, became general manager of the Wiggins operation in 1903. Until the mills and timber lands were sold in 1929, Finkbine’s Wiggins mill capacity was over 175,000 board feet per day. The company also operated over 50 miles of track within the area of operation.
Primary timber processed was long leaf yellow pine. It was processed for both domestic and export (via Gulfport) purposes. Finkbine built a number of houses and other other structures in the growing town of Wiggins over this period. Some of those remain today especially along Pine Street.