Fun Fact: Cupid Missing in Stone County

From the Stone County Enterprise:

CUPID NEGLECTS STONE COUNTY DURING 1922

Stone County has the least number of marriages of any county in Mississippi.  It comes in at the bottom of the state with only 72 marriages.  Bolivar County led in the number of marriages with 1,100.

Fun Fact: Cucumber Growth Encouraged

From Stone County Enterprise, February 15, 1928 (An announcement)

GROW CUCUMBERS

We have examined and considered the America Pickle and Canning Company proposition to the farmers in the Wiggins Territory and give it our endorsement and support.

We urge every farmer in the Wiggins territory to put in some cucumbers for the factory

KENNEDY & COMPANY, KEW MERCANTILE, CO-OPERATIVE COMPANY, WIGGINS DRY GOODS CO., E.A. BOND GROCERY, JITNEY CAFE, BANK OF WIGGINS, BRELAND MERCANTILE CO., WIGGINS DRUG STORE, DUGGAN’S  RESTAURANT, FARMER’S DRUG STORE, JOES THE TAYLOR, MARTIN BROTHERS, L.A. WALLER, JEWELER, E.R. SMITH HARDWARE, STONE CO. ENTERPRISE

Fun Fact: Perk Bulldogs Win Championship

From the Stone County Enterprise …. Oct. 13, 1927

PERKINSTON JUNIOR COLLEGE NOTES

Bull Dogs Defeat Goodman

 The first championship game was played Saturday on the court at Perkinston, Miss. between the Perk Bull Dogs and Goodman Junior College.  The Goodman boys put up a hard fight, but were defeated in the end, the score being thirty-one to nothing, in favor of Perk.

The weather was so unpleasant that everyone was afraid the game would be postponed, but upon questioning Coach, the following answer was given as the boys yelled over the campus… “we are going to play if we have to swim”.  The rush began and the students could not be checked…  Then standing in a torrent of rain, every student put his heart and soul in the game, and showed a clean one, and everybody enjoyed it.

Fun Fact: Local News from August 5, 1916

Another Fun Fact from the August 5, 1916 edition of Stone County Enterprise:

LOCAL NEWS

“C.H. Lindsey, representing X.A. Kromer, Architect of Magnolia, was here Tuesday for the purpose of showing plans and specifications for a new courthouse.

W.R. Smith, member of the county board from beat 5 was in town Tuesday.

Miss Roberta Simmons will return to Purvis today after a week here with Miss May Boone.  Miss Boone will return to Purvis with Miss Simmons to visit friends.for several days.

B.T. Price is nursing a bad hand caused by sticking a splinter in it a few days ago.”

Fun Fact: Wiggins Professionals 1916

From Stone County Enterprise   August 5,1916

 This listing was entitled  PROFESSIONAL:

 

H.D. Pickering

Lawyer

Wiggins

 

E.R. Davis

Lawyer

Wiggins

 

W.C. Batson

Attorney-At-Law

Wiggins

 

A.W. Bond

Attorney and Counselor at Law

Wiggins

 

U.B. Parker

Lawyer

Office in Post Office Bldg

 

Dr. J.A. Leggett

Dentist

Wiggins

 

Dr. J.S. McWilliams

Dentist

Second Floor Drug Store Building

Wiggins

 

Dr. Barber

Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist

Carter Bldg.  Hattiesburg

Dr. W.M. Shepherd     Dr. Z Causey

Office on Pine Street

Fun Fact: Bethlehem Baptist Church

Fun Fact: The following article was printed in April 1, 2004 edition of the Stone County Enterprise as an an insert Celebrating 100 Years of Progress.

 

BETHLEHEM BAPTIST CHURCH

Bethlehem Baptist Church of Wiggins was organized around 1896  by Brother John Moore and Sister Mary Moore and a few other individuals.  The first preacher was Reverend Ford from Alabama.  The first church was built above the Pickle Canning Factory,  (became the Pickle Factory).  Some time after its constructions, the building burned.  The church members then held church services in the Methodist Church (located between  what is now Danzey Tire Service and First National Bank.  )

In 1903 the church called Rev. R.G. Gray as pastor.  He served until April, 1947.  During that time he and the congregation built three churches.  Today the church  building and family life center is located on Magnolia Drive in Wiggins.

“     Through the years, Bethlehem Baptist Church has remained a steady beacon to Wiggins and the surrounding communities.”